We underline (particularly if we are students of harried book-reviewers). Sometimes we scribble a note in the margin. But how few of us write marginalia in Erasmus's or Coleridge's sense, how few of us annotate with copious rigor. - George Steiner, The Uncommon Reader
Marginalia is the act of writing in margins.
- 1 A Definition
- 2 The Early Literate Elite
- 3 Forms of Marginalia
- 4 Paper Production
- 5 Mediatic Etymological Approach
- 6 What Is It About Books?
- 7 Marginalia as an Archaeology of Ideas
- 8 The Contemplation of Death
- 9 Future
The Early Literate Elite
Forms of Marginalia
Footnotes & Citation
Benjamin? Palimpsest Scarcity techniques
Mediatic Etymological Approach
What Is It About Books?
Marginalia as an Archaeology of Ideas
documenting ideas through changing technologies